Vanderburgh Homeless Connect is a one-day, one-stop event with one mission: to provide critical services and hospitality directly to people who are homeless or near-homeless. This is not a health or information fair but an event to receive immediate, same-day services.
Community agencies will offer services they normally offer in their offices and some services which are normally only accessible on-line. Guests can sit down and talk to an actual person. Areas of service will include:
• Employment & Education
• Government Assistance
• Veterans Services
• Health Screenings
• Legal and tax advice
• Parenting resources
• Re-entry services
• Hospitality services, such as haircuts and foot care.
• Lunch for guests, volunteers and service providers is sponsored by Vectren Foundation.
• Childcare is provided during the event for those guests who are obtaining services.
o Current estimates are that locally, 1/3 of people who are homeless are children.
Who can benefit: Those who are homeless, as well as near-homeless. Near-homeless could be described as those living in poverty, those without stable housing, and those at high risk of being without a home in the near/immediate future due to inability to pay for housing costs. Causes can include:
• loss of paycheck due to loss of job (due to job being eliminated, needing to care for dependent, loss of transportation)
• domestic violence
• medical problems, mental health issues
• inadequate income as related to housing expenses
For more information: Call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 or email email@example.com.