Today, Mayor Lloyd Winnecke publicly announced changes that would improve our local building ordinances and further encourage development in Evansville and Vanderburgh County.
During the Mayor’s State of the City address last month, the Mayor indicated his desire to make it easier for new residential and commercial construction. Through consultation with the building trades, developers and builders, Mayor Winnecke fully endorses the following meaningful goals:
GOAL 1: Reduce license application time by 2-3 weeks
• In conjunction with each License Board, develop the standards for each application to test. With the standards set, the Building Commission can verify the information before appearing before the Licensing Board.
• Grant the Building Commission the ability to issue a provisional contractor license upon successful completion of the test. The license becomes official when the License and Discipline Board approves it at their regular monthly meeting.
• Changes would be accomplished with existing personnel and no additional financial cost.
GOAL 2: Boost number of applicants for residential sub-contractors
• Create a program to encourage applicants for Residential Non-Structural Sub Contractors.
• Building Commission will create a new test for Sub Contractors that deal only with their particular field. Some of the current tests cover outdated practices and materials that are no longer used.
• Existing staff within the Building Commission will create the test and explore partnerships with the building trades and associations to provide educational resources.
GOAL 3: Streamline administrative work process for contractors
• Create efficiencies and reduce paperwork within Building Commission requirements to ease the time burdens on Contractors through an optional 2-year license.
• Require three Continuing Education hours per license holder rather than three hours per license.
• There would be no additional costs with these licenses.
GOAL 4: Protect customers from potential fraudulent work
• Require a federal background check as part of the application process to identify potential fraud history and other construction issues.
GOAL 5: Modernize the building codes
• Direct each Licensing Board to provide recommendations for updates to their specific sections of the codes that would clarify current language and update past practices no longer applicable.
As these recommendations move forward either through administrative or legislative action, Mayor Winnecke welcomes additional input to ensure all voices are heard.